Genetry Solar Forums

6000W solar and inverter upgrade!

Please don't lock out the fan settings just because a few people don't know what they are doing. 

Instead maybe setup the inverter so that the curve can be tuned but have a restore to factory fan curve option and possibly code in a fan settings failsafe where a locked inverter (or unlocked for that matter) will automatically detect a critical temp and crank all the fans to 100% and ignore the custom settings in that instance until it either cools back down to a safe temperature or reaches the critical overheat temperature and triggers a shutdown.  If the inverter needs to save itself like this it could advise the customer to restore the fan profile to factory settings.  Another option may be having a handful of fan curves that are based on ambient temperature, inverter load, and transformer temperature.  Having a quiet mode, normal mode, Proactive cooling (as you described above) and possibly a 100°F+ setting where the inverter sees the high ambient temp and more aggressively cranks the fans early.

All that being said I haven't adjusted the fan settings much because I have the inverter in the basement where the sound is pretty well dampened.  I may try out the proactive cooling but so far it hasn't been an issue as of yet where I currently have mine installed.

17 hours ago, kuhrd said:

Please don't lock out the fan settings just because a few people don't know what they are doing. 

Instead maybe setup the inverter so that the curve can be tuned but have a restore to factory fan curve option and possibly code in a fan settings failsafe where a locked inverter (or unlocked for that matter) will automatically detect a critical temp and crank all the fans to 100% and ignore the custom settings in that instance until it either cools back down to a safe temperature or reaches the critical overheat temperature and triggers a shutdown. 

So the "lock out" would leave the settings intact, just the user would have to go through the warranty-void unlock procedure to access said settings.  I do plan to make the default settings as lot less aggressive, which should help with noise.  Ideally, most customers won't need to touch these settings...I'm not removing them by any means though.  Will try to make it so that inverters in the field that have customized fan settings will remain as such--but newer inverters going out will have the fan settings locked.

The issue with customers changing said settings is that then the inverter doesn't run right...then they end up consuming our time to fix said problem--or say that the inverter is junk, etc., etc.  One customer had the inverter go into overheat shutdown without the fans ever turning on--by setting the fan PWM option to 20Hz (but the GS fans require 20KHz in order to accept a PWM throttle).  Yes, the fans will throttle up to full speed 95%+ PWM...but with the rapid temperature rise by the time the fans finally spun up, the fans couldn't prevent the inverter from surpassing the shutdown threshold.  (Didn't damage it.)  Another turned the "off speed" up, and then couldn't figure out why the fans kept running all the time.

I set off speed to 1% to keep fans from spinning up and shutting off rapidly at night. Kinda like that, but would be nice if I could make this figure a little slower.

Other ideas for fan control.... load offset, temp control. Fan speed (percent) = Math.min(100, thermistor controlled value + (load pct - load offset) * load factor) or some fancy algorithm like one-way "inertia" (fan speed changes instantly going up but very gradually while going down). In all likelyhood just about any "algorithm" suggested, even if it sounds like it makes sense, will not in practice. 😃

• Like 1