Genetry Solar Forums

Sid Battery Balancers.

2 hours ago, The Blind Wolf said:

well, its going to be one heat sink per balancer, and I'll probley use two or three insulators ūüėõ¬† Yeah my friend is supposed to show up here shortly, so will be shutting down the GS and hooking them up to the main.¬† Just got donw installing one panel on my one array and rewired it to 100v 3 string 1500w for my 60a skyblue.

The fewer the insulators the better--these shunts get VERY hot.  They need electrically isolated, but not thermally isolated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was just seeing if anybody I know somebody says they could do cad work for STL files.  Was wondering if they could make a case for the balancer?  Have the front with the one hold for mounting to the front, will use a metal spacer to keep the PLA from touching the back of the resister, have where the display is in front, then wraps around about two inches, for a normal size heat sink, with a 40x40 mm mounting fan spot  with two holes on one sid eand the other side same thing for  the two TX wires and the power wires.  and maybe have it where theyu can interconnect side by side maybe on the back side since that is going to be the best place to have that due to the area.  would be nice if you could put mounting brackes over the fan area on top to push away from the wall to allow air flow for the fan and have the bottme of the fan aprt have a vent to allow air out, maybe on top as well.  If I could see, I would do it my self lol. cad isn't blind friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now on my 18650 cells, soldering wires between the moduals, and as well as putting my balancers on each. Have to cut and drill each heat sink.  I'm at a lost on how this going to work as far as cooling them. since I'll have seven hot items.  I'm makeing the heat sink a bit taller so I can have a mounting  hole  on the top of the balancers.  Thinking of useing some L brackets to hold them on a board so I can some how mount a fan to blow over the sinks. if I can get the tempture contrtoller working.  Hey sid, idea on a new  thing a small relay switch that triggers when the balancer is active have tow soldering  pads or two pins and I cand take and use the pin out to a relay that is set for the voltage of my battery bank to turn on the fan when the relay on the balancer kicks on. that will get rid of having to use a tempture controller.

5 hours ago, BigJonCoop said:

@The Blind Wolf

i can help you modify STL files if u still help.

@Sid Genetry Solar

Are there any balancers for sale At the moment? Or are you willing to sell the gerber files?

Last I know, there are still balancer for sale on the main web site.  I'm fixing to order a set of them now I need more.

6 hours ago, BigJonCoop said:

Are there any balancers for sale At the moment?

Yes.  I ordered a batch of 400pcs...and we still have plenty left.

7 hours ago, The Blind Wolf said:

Hey sid, idea on a new  thing a small relay switch that triggers when the balancer is active have tow soldering  pads or two pins and I cand take and use the pin out to a relay that is set for the voltage of my battery bank to turn on the fan when the relay on the balancer kicks on. that will get rid of having to use a tempture controller.

That'd have to be a separate MCU that processes the resulting datastream to determine if any are active.  Far easier to just use a thermal fan controller.  At 24v, there should be plenty of readily available options; it's just at 48v that the pickings get a bit slim.

Just bought 4 Lip4 balancers ūüėõ¬† Going to use them to balance cells that are over charging.¬† seems like my head way battery likes to over charge one modual even if I balance the whole thing. it just keeps going out of balance.¬† mainly one of them, so going to use gator clips on the ends to be able to move it to any of the moduals that are being a pain.

52 minutes ago, The Blind Wolf said:

Just bought 4 Lip4 balancers ūüėõ¬† Going to use them to balance cells that are over charging.¬† seems like my head way battery likes to over charge one modual even if I balance the whole thing. it just keeps going out of balance.¬† mainly one of them, so going to use gator clips on the ends to be able to move it to any of the moduals that are being a pain.

You'll want to use some heavy gauge clips, as the voltage drop in thin wire will greatly reduce the balance current.

14 minutes ago, Sid Genetry Solar said:

You'll want to use some heavy gauge clips, as the voltage drop in thin wire will greatly reduce the balance current.

Yep got some copper clips that I use.

working on my one battery and keep noticeing its not outputing any amprage even thou it showing that its got voltage of 26.9v. but when I go into the bms app its not giving or taking any power, could that bms be fried due to over amping the two times it smoked up the connectors on it?  it won't even cut off when I give it the ocmmand makes me think there is a short in it.

its showing the battery cell voltage and total volts and stuff, but just not working as fare as amps. weird. I only got one more bms and that was for one more battery, guess I'll plug it into the other battery and see if that works and if so will just have to order another bms *sigh*

Also just order what they call mega bolt on fuses. 150a five of those and 1 400a 36v one as well. finally getting around of building my copper bus bars, and going to use those mega fuse coming off of the buss bar for each connections.